Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Cancer Wars, Episode 4: The Hodgkin's Menace"; or "It's Baaaaack"

Click here for the whole opening crawl: http://www.starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/index.jsp?cs=uufqk8fsrv


Sometimes, especially after a trilogy, additional sequels are not welcomed.

That's certainly the case right now for me. After three bouts with cancer, and many more different kinds of treatments, I had hoped to have finished my Hodgkin's lymphoma saga. But no. We're all going to be treated to an unwanted new episode.

Yesterday I received the results from my most recent PET/CT scan. New cancerous lymph nodes are showing up. One area we had hoped was residual or inactive has increased in intensity (which means it's showing more cancerous activity). This is all bad news.

My doctor has a plan though. Up until now I've been taking a significant amount of immuno-suppresant medications to try and keep the graft versus host disease (GvH) under control. Though I'm still struggling with GvH, we're going to reduce the drugs keeping my shiny new immune system at bay and hope that it attacks the cancer at full force. (This also involves hoping that it doesn't attack my skin, mouth, eyes, or gastrointestinal system, but if it does there are alternative ways to treat that GvH.)

I'll also do another two rounds of Adcetris treatment, which will ideally quash what new bits of cancer have appeared. That is the same treatment I did in order to prepare for my most recent stem cell transplant (click here to read more about my first Adcetris treatment). It was insanely expensive, but had almost no side effects and completely eliminated the cancer. I'm hoping for a repeat performance.

So to sum up: dark and cancerous forces are again at work, but this battle is far from over.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawntel, I went back and re-read your post about what people can say or do for people with cancer. But ugh ... I want you to TELL us how to get rid of this for you, because that's what I really want to do for you. To have SOME way of banishing this nonsense. I wish we lived closer. I'm so upset and frustrated for you ... but I know you've got this. Love you lots, Shawntel.

Kim Gray said...

There is nothing to say but that sucks, and that is without all the other expletives I just muttered. If all the people you have pulling for you can kill off just one of those little %$^# cells you will be home free...so we will all keep pulling sweetie. Hang in there and let us know if we can help with anything. Love to you and Brynn.

JanineV said...

67dstPShawntel, I read about your recurrent cancer on Julie's blog. I will be praying for your healing.

Dianna Bell said...

I'm thinking of you!

DAV said...

Shawntel,
I also read about your situation on Julie's blog. What really took me to your blog was the Star Wars reference. My husband is a HUGE Star Wars fan (he is currently building a life-size, operational R2D2 in our garage). Yes, it is pure geek, but the reason he really, truly loves the movie is because of the battle between good and evil; dark and light. So with all I know (by default)about Star Wars, I really think you are onto something. Yes, the dark side does win from time to time, but in the end the good prevails. I wish I could offer a solution as simple as a lightsaber that could zap your cancer away; instead all I can do is admire your humor and keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Remember, "To be Jedi is to face the truth, and choose. Give off light, or darkness. Be a candle, or the night." I am just a geek talking, but I think you are a candle.

weeghosties said...

Beatdown this cancer, you will.

And anyone that joins Julie doing after-school specials on STDs is well, a bit disturbing actually, but can kick cancer's butt. Seriously. Did you see her hair?

Go gett'em, babe!