Thursday, August 6, 2020

Brave (Scary) New Frontiers

 Let me catch you up before I overwhelm you with new updates...

The bronchoscopy results were not helpful. Despite having biopsied from one of the areas that had lit up on my PET scan, the biopsy taken during the bronch came back showing no cancer. The problem is, that result does not mean there's no cancer, it just means there's no cancer in that specific spot we biopsied. And all the tests run from the lavage fluid came back negative as well.

That left us with very little to go on. I went several weeks without seeing my oncologist. It was too soon for another PET scan and without any useful results from the bronch we just didn't know what direction to go. It was nice to have a little down time with no treatment. My fingernails started getting stronger and looking normal again and my hair started to grow back just the tiniest bit. 

But then some of my cancer symptoms started creeping back. I've had a low grade fever for almost 3 weeks now, which initially we thought was a cold, but have eventually admitted is probably a sign my cancer is growing again. I've also had night sweats again and have been frequently feeling worn out. Plus I've started feeling like I have pressure on my chest and it's more laborious to breathe. These things all point to a likelihood that the cancer in my lungs is growing again. 

So after conferring with Dr. Essell, we've decided we're going to try immunotherapy. I've talked about this as an option before, but always as an option that scared me. Immunotherapy will stimulate my immune system, which will hopefully cause it to kill any remaining cancer. But because of my graft vs. host (GVH) disease, it could cause my immune system to flare and attack my body. Basically, my donor immune system would not recognize my body and it would attack my body, but with extra power from us having boosted it.

Immunotherapy is the last treatment option we have that has the potential to put me in any meaningful kind of remission. If the immunotherapy fails or if my body can't handle it because the GVH, we're down to options that can't really put me in remission, that could only hopefully keep me alive a little longer.

So this treatment is double scary. Scary because it may try to kill me itself, but also scary because if it fails we've run out of life-saving options and are only left with hopefully life-prolonging options.

So things are about to get going! I'll go for a new PET scan tomorrow to establish a baseline for when we start the new treatment. I'll also get a COVID test while I'm out tomorrow because I'm scheduled for a minor surgery next week. Once my COVID test is back negative I'll go in to have (ANOTHER) port put in for treatment.

This won't be my first or my second port; it'll be my third. And that's not to mention all the lines that I've also had placed over the years. My chest is a mess and we're not entirely sure there's a place to put another port. The surgeon is going to take a look at my chest and see if there's a spot that will work, but there's a chance they'll actually have to put the port in my leg. If that's the case, it's going to make getting my treatments an interesting affair!

If everything goes smoothly, I'll be getting my first immunotherapy on Friday, August 14th. I'm really nervous about it. So please send lots of good vibes my way. 

Side note: We are still as fully isolated as possible because of COVID-19. We're not eating out or doing takeout from restaurants. Nor are we having any visitors. For the time being please don't send food or flowers, just because we're "quarantining" anything that comes in the house for three days before we bring it all the way into the house. We have to be as careful as possible as we get ready to start this new treatment!

No comments: