Wednesday, January 13, 2021

When You're Slaying the Dragon, but Get Taken out by a Trap Door

 Let's start with some good news. I went for a PET/CT scan on Monday. My usual hospital is currently replacing their scanner, so I had to go to a new hospital whose scanner is in a mobile unit outside the building. 

Great scanning powers, itty bitty little living space

Although my doctor sent the images from my prior scan over to this new hospital, the radiologist felt that it wasn't his job to compare the films and gave one of the least helpful scan interpretations I've ever gotten. My doctor was obviously not satisfied with that, so he had the new images sent over to my usual hospital. After reviewing them, he said that this scan looks even better than the last one and that it doesn't look like there's any Hodgkin's in my lungs.

That's the slaying the dragon part. Huzzah. For at least the time being, it seems we have the Hodgkin's under control.

But woo boy does it seem like everything else is f*cked. 

Since my last post, I went on steroids to try to boost my platelets. We also tried IV IG to boost my platelets. Eventually we started N-Plate injections for the platelets. After 3 or so months of my platelets hovering around or below 10, we finally saw some improvement over the last 3 weeks. On Tuesday my count was 113, and a week prior it had been 112. That's still low, but it's less scary than single digits.

Steroids, if you don't know this, are like magic. They can give you wonderful things (like energy, an appetite, and the ability to breathe normally), but they come with a price. You also don't just take steroids for a day or two. Depending on what dose you start on, you can be tapering off them for weeks or months. My face had started to swell up a bit, but far more concerning was how large my stomach was getting. Steroids cause your body to take fat from places like your legs and butt, and move it to your stomach. I don't know why. Yes, it is weird. So when my stomach got all swollen and distended, I assumed it was the steroids fault.

I've been off the steroids for like two weeks now though, and my stomach is worse than ever. It's constantly distended and taut. I feel full all the time and eating makes me feel miserable. Today I went for a portal vein study, which is an ultrasound that looks at the blood flow to and from my liver. It seems like maybe my doctor suspects liver cirrhosis, which would actually explain a lot of my symptoms. Swollen ankles and feet, shortness of breath, weakness. We'll have to see what he says at my next appointment though. I've panicked myself about my liver before and that was a false alarm. 

Overall, I'm back to feeling pretty cruddy. Just walking slowly upstairs to go to bed takes my oxygen saturation down to 86-92 and shoots my heat rate up to around 130. I have to keep my legs elevated or they swell and then hurt. And my dry mouth is still so bad that I have to eat soups or very wet foods. I also just don't feel motivated to do anything, even crochet or watch tv. 

But we are going to clench onto that good news about the Hodgkins and keep pushing forward. I refuse (or at least very strongly object) to have battled this cancer dragon for so long and then get beaten by something like low platelets. 


No comments: