Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Bird, the Bees, and the Best Question Yet

It's not that I'm afraid to talk to Brynn about sex. I've always answered her questions and tried to provide just enough detail to satisfy her curiosity without scandalizing her ten year old innocence. That's a delicate balance though. So while I'm not scared or avoiding the subject, I do try to approach it with the utmost care.

Currently, Brynn's working definition of sex is when two people touch their private parts together. I'm not sure she's ready for a more mechanical definition than that, seeing as how she's mostly appalled at the idea people would voluntarily engage in such behavior.

At one point she confidently asserted that she is "never gonna have sex." I inadvertently chuckled. She took offense and restated her point more passionately. That's a fine plan to have, I assured her, but also cautioned that one day, when she's an adult, she might change her mind.

A few weeks later, out of the blue, Brynn came to me with the question "Can people have sex and not know about it?" With her limited understanding of how things work she was afraid that private parts might brush together accidentally. I explained how you would certainly know if you were having sex. Being the overcautious mother that I am though, I countered that with a simplistic explanation of date rape drugs. Basically I told her the only way someone wouldn't know they were having sex is if someone else gave them an illegal kind of drug that makes people forget things.

Fast forward to tonight. Brynn's brewed on all the information she has for about 3 weeks since the roofie conversation. She knows that people have to have sex to make a baby. She knows how sex works. And she knows people are cognizant of when they are having sex. So over dinner Brynn asks:

"Do you think daddy gave you one of those drugs that make you forget having sex?"

Me: "No sweetie."

Brynn: "Well how did I get born then?!?"



Only my child would think that there was a higher likelihood of her dad giving me an illegal drug than there was of me voluntarily sleeping with him. You should have seen the speechless look of utter disbelief when I told her I had slept with her dad (and remember it). I know no one likes to be reminded that their parents had sex, but roofies are a whole new way to try to explain it away!

No comments: