Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Rediagnosis: Cancer

Last night I was walking around in the Dollar Tree when my cell phone lit up with a call from my doctor. "Oh good" I thought, I'd been waiting to get the official word about my recent biopsy for almost a week. The surgeon had reassured me that the mass didn't look cancerous to him, and so I'd not worried much more about it.

My doc: "So how did the biopsy go?"

Me: "THAT'S WHAT I WAS HOPING YOU WERE CALLING TO TELL ME!"

Doc: "ha ha. No, the actual procedure. How's your incision?"

Me: "It was routine. I'm no more sore than is to be expected. How are my results?"

Doc: "Well, there were Hodgkin's cells in the biopsy."

Me: "You've *got* to be kidding me."

Doc: "I wish I was..."

And so I sat down the cheapie dollar scissors I was toting around. Walked out to my car in a haze. And had a discussion with my oncologist about what happens now.

So what happens now?

First, I move back to northern Kentucky. Second, I start a new treatment regimen, meant to get me ready for transplant. Third, I have another stem cell transplant, this time using a donor's stem cells. Finally, I kick cancer's ass...again (again). Easy Peasie.

I'm sure I'll relate more details as we go, but those are the basics. Here's a terrifying chart, to convey the gravity of the situation:

Overall survival of 118 patients from date of relapse after autologous stem cell transplantation for relapsed or refractory Hodgkin lymphoma.
It's like the giant hour glass the wicked witch of the west flips to let Dorothy know when she'll meet her doom, except less pretty.

There's a new treatment though (only out 2 months) that I'll be doing to prepare for the transplant. Hopefully that changes the statistics as they now stand.

If any of you would like to help me, here's what I need:

Please go to www.bethematch.org and sign up to be a stem cell donor. It's free to join the registry. They send you a cotton swab and some easy directions and once you send it back you could save a life. Very few people ever get called (1 in 540 according to a friend). Those who do get called usually have no costs associated with donating. The procedure itself (as I understand it) is the same one they used to collect my stem cells, which was just like giving blood but took a bit longer. Of the 10,000 people (many of them children) who need a donor every year, only 50% find a match. Please, please sign up to possibly save a life. A life like mine.

In more practical matters, I will need help with the move. Loading in Tallahassee, unloading somewhere in northern Kentucky. If anyone has a lead on nice but affordable places for rent in Burlington, I'd love to know.

If other things come up I'll let everyone know. For now though, hugs, distractions, and support are warmly welcomed.

14 comments:

Jenny C-E said...

Oh Shawntel, I'm so sorry to read this. You're in my thoughts.

Brian J said...

If you need a Y chromosome to aid in your moving process please let me know. I would be happy to help you do your loading in Tally. My phone is 352-284-3739 and my email is jonesgator@gmail.com.

obsessive compulsive dawn said...

Healing vibes heading your way.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Okay, I deleted my last post due to strong language. That's how I really feel about it, though.

My message is still the same:

Let's do this, Shawntel. We got you.

Anonymous said...

Shawntel, I'm so sorry. God has a purpose & sometimes we don't understand. You are so strong, kick its butt just like before (easier said than done I'm sure) You are stronger than cancer. Can I do this from Kansas? I'll check it out. Sending up prayers & sending tons of tight hugs!
Amanda (Wilson) McMannes

Kristan black said...

I just went to the website. I'm going to sign up. I'm thinking about you guys. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Seminole Sitters, LLC said...

I just registered on BeTheMatch.org. Still praying for you and Brynn.

Dianna Bell said...

Shawntel,

I'm so sad and overwhelmed to read this. Please know that me and my family and friends here are saying many, many blessings on your behalf.

K’i si ke negebere ye.
(May your life be as solid as an iron sick)

Love,
Dianna

mm46 said...

We don't know each other, but we have a mutual friend who shared your story. My thoughts, prayers, love (yes love) and postiive energy is yours...as is my registration!

Gina Stulz said...

You are in my thoughts and I just wanted to let you know I am already on the registry.

Julie's cousin, Gina

S. M. Curran said...

Dammit. Shawntel, we want to help. I'll start with the registry. May have to give you the sampler Amy made me. (it's contents aren't suitable for public discourse.)

Love Sheila Curran

Anonymous said...

Shawntel, so sorry to hear this news. If I can help in any way, call me. You and Brynn will be in my prayers.
Karen Neumeister

Kim G said...

I'm like many of the posters here Shawntel, my immediate thoughts are not fit to post...Will keep praying and definitely sign up for donor list. Let us know what the move plans are and you know we will help any way we can. Let's see if we can get Brynn together with Chase before and if you think some getaway time would be good for you both let me know...Love to you and Brynn.