Friday, July 15, 2011

"Mommy, You Sweated a Smiley Face"

Exercising does not come easy for me, it never has. It seems like I get motivated at the least convenient times, like after I've eaten my weight in cheese or when I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep. There are other times that I convince myself aren't ideal, like just after I've showered or when I'm wearing mascara. Really I can turn just about anything into an excuse. Ever since my stem cell transplant I've been especially discouraged because my physical stamina is even lower than it was when I was weighing in at close to 200 lbs. I'm trying to get back into it, but since I usually enjoy exercising as much as tortuous medical procedures it's been a tough sell.

Not tonight though. Tonight I was going to go walk. Brynn changed (into a fancy tank top and booty shorts) then she changed again into something exercise appropriate. She put crocs on and then switched those out for gym shoes. She hydrated and peed. Then she clipped the dog on a leash and we were (finally) ready to go.

At the park there are nicely paved trails sprinkled with exercise stations (to perk up other muscle groups) as well as dirt trails for cross country enthusiasts and mountain bikers. Brynn actually ran a 5K at this park last fall and was vaguely familiar with the dirt trails. At the first trail head she took off into the woods while I trotted along to the next exercise station. Three exercise stations later I waited and waited for her at the end of the trail. Or at least I thought it was the end of the trail. Turns out I was waiting at the end of another trail, and the sun was setting! When several shouts didn't return a response I headed for the top of the highest hill in the park. From there I was able to hear Brynn shouting for me from the other side of the park. Before I made it over to her she targeted a gentleman with a cell phone and called me.

"Hi mom"

"Where are you?!?"

"Where are you?!?"

We were reunited shortly thereafter (despite the fact that she took off in the opposite direction that I directed her to). On the way back to the car, as I lamented a walk cut short and a stressful situation, Brynn observed "Mommy, you sweated a smiley face." Huh? A smiley face? She seemed awfully sure though. In order to convince me, she snapped this photo.

                                                               Yep. That's a smiley face.


Sure enough, my backside was smiling at everyone on the trail behind me. I guess I enjoy exercising more than I thought, even my sweat is happy.

No comments: