Tuesday, August 23, 2011

They Just Don't Make "First Days" Like They Used To

On the first day of kindergarten proud parents spring out of bed at the crack of dawn to prepare their munchkins for their very first encounter with elementary education. There are dresses and bows and enough pictures to fill an album. Children want their parents to drive them to school and walk them to their classrooms. These tiny pupils even tell their anxious parents everything about their day once they get home.

Brynn's first day of kindergarten was like that. Her first days of a few subsequent grades even resemble this fairy tale model. Fifth grade was not a fairy tale first day. In fact, it was kind of a bumbling mess.

The night before, Brynn couldn't fall asleep. One thing after another spun through her head and kept her up past 11pm, despite laying down at 8:30. No worries though, her outfit was chosen, lunch packed, and shoes located. Monday morning was set to run like clockwork.

Except I screwed up the clock. Like countless times before, I managed to set my phone alarms for pm instead of am. Two out of three alarms were accidentally set to sound close to dinner-time. When the third alarm went off at 7:35 I immediately knew it was too bright outside and that something was terribly wrong.

I sprung out of bed. Ran to Brynn's room. Threw on the light and yanked back the covers.

Good morning, welcome to fifth grade. You're about to be tardy.

In the end Brynn made it to school in plenty of time, but she'd missed the bus and her friends. I'd missed any chance to take photos. I did get to drive her to school, but I think we'd both have been mortified if I'd walked her to the classroom in my pajama pants.

To make up for the rocky start I walked to the bus stop, camera in hand, to meet her and take an action shot as she strode off the bus. As they turned the corner and I readied the camera I realized the memory stick was in my laptop. Foiled again.

I did snag a couple quick shots before Brynn made it inside the house, but she wasn't exactly ecstatic.

                                       Impatient is really more the emotion she's got going on this year.

I'd like to say that her second day ran smoother. It did not. Brynn and a friend bounded down to the bus stop ten minutes early. Forty five minutes later...<knock, knock knock>. I guess the bus driver overslept. So we're 2 for 2 on pajama clad last minute rides to school. Not an auspicious start.

On the bright side, Brynn got loads of compliments on her second day of school outfit.

                                                      One of these days these hightops are gonna walk all over you.

It's gonna be a long year folks. A long year.

No comments: