Friday, March 2, 2012

Some People Get Allergy Shots, I Get Shots of Radioactive Sugar...Still Not a Superhero

Approximately every 3 months I go to the hospital for a PET/CT scan. I've been doing this for years now. I'd love it if they had a punch card for regular customers. The very sweet ladies who work at the radiology check-in desk recognize me now and comment on how long my hair is getting. Each scan retails for about $4,000 or so.

Still, scans are fantastic because they are the only way for me to tell if my cancer is responding to treatment. Since I don't have any physical signs of having cancer right now, there's no way to know if the cancer is retreating or charging forward...until a scan.

The scans themselves are rather dull. I arrive at the hospital after fasting since the evening before. A couple times in the past I had to drink the barium "milkshakes" before a scan, but haven't been "treated" to those in a long time now. I just go in, answer a few quick questions, and get a finger stick to check my blood sugar. Assuming my blood sugar isn't too high (and it never has been) then I get injected with radioactive sugar (aka. the tracer). This is my favorite part. The sugar comes in a plastic syringe (just like any other injection) but because it's radioactive there is a thick, heavy *lead* protective outer cover. It always makes me think of Superman and kryptonite. Except in this scenario everyone in the radiology department has a weakness to it, but they're gonna inject it directly into my veins and let me metabolize it for 45 minutes. I'm not a superhero yet, but I'm taking my vitamins.

What's that "special glow"? Radiation!

After the tracer is coursing though my body, the staff dims the lights and leaves me in a quiet room for about 45 minutes or an hour, presumably to see if I turn into the hulk or bite any unassuming, non-radioactive spiders. That hasn't happened yet (blech, spiders), but what usually does happen is that in any areas in my body where cells are reproducing rapidly (you know, like cancer cells) the radioactive sugar is sucked up because those cells require the energy the sugar provides to keep reproducing so quickly. Then they run me through a machine that takes cross-section pictures all up and down my body to see what bits are lighting up as radioactive, and if those bits are any bigger than they were the last time I had a scan. For me it just means lying still with my arms above my head for about 30 minutes. Then I'm finished, which by this time is a huge relief because I've not eaten in awhile and could really go for some lunch.

And yet, while I'm generally bored by the scan procedure itself, I do appreciate the almost magical technology setting us apart from a century or two ago when I'd probably be going for blood-letting instead of radiation enhanced pictures of my innards.

No comments: