Monday, August 15, 2011

Breaking Up is Hard to Do...Unless You're Brynn

So Brynn got dumped tonight.

For more than a year she's had a long distance boyfriend. Once a month or so they'd exchange a phone call or an email, but she put a lot of thought into whether or not to stay with him in the face of other cute little boys liking her. I wasn't sure exactly how she was taking the news after her now ex-boyfriend popped out of his house and announced that he'd just broken up with Brynn. Would there be tears? Was she going to be snippy or say mean things?

She tagged him, shouted "you're it!," and ran for base. They played for at least another hour before I pried her away because it was getting late. The only time she mentioned it again was in a whispered voice in my ear assuring me that she "was going to break up with him anyway."

When we piled in the car I wondered if maybe now she'd be a little sad. I asked her what had happened. He simply said that since she lived so far away he was breaking up with her. She responded "okay" and reminded him that she'd suggested that months ago when we first moved. Then they went to play. As easy as that. Was she sad?

Brynn: "Sad?!? I'm SINGLE!!! I'm gonna get a new boyfriend!"

She even sang a little made up tune about having a new boyfriend.

Without a doubt, future breakups will be heart wrenching for Brynn. There will be tears. For now though, breaking up is about moving on when the time is right for everyone...and about staying friends. I know she's only 10, but I couldn't hope for a better breakup for her.

No comments: