Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Coming Full Circle

So my graft vs. host seems to want to hang around. Everytime it starts to ease up in one place, it crops up somewhere new and seemingly worse (like all over the inside of my mouth and throat). We're not just going to roll over and let it do its worst though. Today the doctor added another immuno-suppresant called Cellcept to my drug list. Along with another immuno-suppressant (Prograf), these two meds should help beat the graft back down into submission...or at least hopefully get it to quit attacking my skin, mouth, stomach, etc.

There's an ironic twist to this new drug though. All medicines that I'm aware of are required to list the side effects of the drug. Things like nausea, blurry vision, constipation/diarrhea, etc. are all just par for the course. Today's new med has an extra special warning though...

"WARNING: Mycophenolate [Cellcept] decreases the body's ability to protect against illness and infection, and may also increase your risk of developing lymph node tumors (lymphoma) and other types of tumors. ...Notify your doctor immediately if you develop signs of infection or other symptoms such as weight loss, night sweats, enlarged lymph nodes, or skin growths."

Did you catch that? My new med CAN CAUSE LYMPHOMA.

And that, folks, is coming full circle.

Give me 5 on my GvH covered hand for irony in the highest degree.

No comments: