Tuesday, May 1, 2012

On the Rise

After what feels like quite a bit of waiting, my white blood count is finally on the rise. A normal WBC is between 4.6 and 10.2. Mine went as low as .2. Then, ever so slowly, it began to creep up a few days ago. First to .4, then to .6, then to .9, and finally today to 1.5. It isn't rapid progress but it's a move in the right direction. Basically this means that the stem cells from the transplant have nuzzled down into my marrow and they're starting to produce new blood cells for me. My new immune system is in its infancy, but it's working and growing. In order to go home I need my ANC (a subset of the WBC) to be at .5 for 3 days. Today's ANC was only .1, but again that's an improvement over the previous day's count of 0.0. I'll take every step forward I can get!

The doctors and nurses love this particular room decoration.
 I'm feeling much better than I was during my first week and a half in here. My nausea has mostly subsided and, while I still don't feel like I *want* to eat anything, at least my stomach rumbles and lets me know I am, in fact, hungry. I haven't had any infections (knock on wood) with the exception of a possible small infection around my "line" that cleared up with antibiotics. The hospital is terribly boring, but I've gotten SO many cards and gifts to help keep me entertained. Thanks to everyone who has been thinking about (and worrying about) me. With any luck I'll be home by the weekend!

***Update (5/2): The doctor has decided that since I've been doing so well and since my counts are way up today (WBC 2.7, ANC .8) I should get to go home tomorrow!

1 comment:

RockStar said...

Home by the weekend!!! Great news and will need that address too Shawntel!!!! So glad to hear...things sound very positive!! Keep up the great work!! Talk to you soon, Aimee!!