Monday, April 23, 2012

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Today was the day I "let my hair down." Way down. Like all-the-way-to-the-shower-drain down. Almost every person who has received certain kinds of chemo (like the kinds I received to kick off my transplant) will awake one morning, look at their pillow, and see something remarkably like this...

Thank goodness Rapunzel didn't have this problem.

This is my 3rd turn at waking up to a hair coated pillow. Nothing prepared me for the first time, and not even the memory of the first loss quite prepared me for the second time. This round though, I was ready. So ready in fact that I beat the process. Many of you have already seen this, but here's Brynn cutting off my hair to send it to Pantene's Beatiful Lengths program to be made into wigs for cancer patients. Ironic wigs.

Youtube Video of the Hair Cutting

Some people lose their hair in patches, but mine just thins all over. Gradually at first but then much more rapidly. Despite clogging the shower drain with my locks, I still have enough hair tonight to perhaps have the loss go unnoticed. Tonight's sleep and tomorrow's shower won't be as kind. So I think the plan is to have one of the nurses come tomorrow and buzz my hair close to my scalp. It makes the mess on the pillow easier to endure. It also makes it easier to wear the periwinkle/lilac wig I brought just for the occasion. And in the end, like so many other things, it's no use hanging on to my hair. If it's ready to go then I can't make it stay. Luckily it's only hair and I can live without it.  And, if all goes well, I'll be growing a whole new crop of it soon.

2 comments:

RockStar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RockStar said...

Dang Shawntel, I only know you bc of DBT, but THANK GOD!!! I truly am thinking of you...been traveling to see DBT and for my job...got your thread going and hope some of us.get things sent to you...mine is going out TH...hang in there!! You are amazing and I love your strength!!!!