Monday, April 16, 2012

A Brief Update to Assure Everyone I'm Still Kicking

It turns out that not all transplants are the same. Of course I knew that going into the hospital, but the only thing I had to base my expectations on was my last transplant. Because of that, I didn't expect to get sick nearly as fast as I did.

During my first transplant (Dec 2009) my first week and a half or so was more about killing boredom than feeling ill. This time around, however, I was feeling green around the gills by day 2, and still don't feel anywhere close to "normal" (though I am feeling better). I've been taking all kinds of medications. Some to kill viruses, some to kill bacteria, some to kill fungus, some to ward off nausea, some to help my donor cells engraft when I get them, and some chemo.

That's 3 bags and a bottle, for those keeping score at home.

I'm taking each day as they come, and some are better than others. I don't always feel like talking, texting, or being on the computer, but I appreciate everyone's love and concern. All the cards and packages I've gotten have cheered me up on dreary days. I miss feeling like myself, but a little bit of rotten right now will hopefully equate to a lot of normal old "myself" time in the long run.

No comments: