Friday, April 20, 2012

Special Delivery: One Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant, International Style

Ordinarily, stem cell transplants happen during the daytime, when first shift people are busily doing their first shift jobs. I'm not one for ordinary though, so when my stem cells arrived at the airport on an international flight around 8pm, we started gearing up for a late night stem cell infusion.

I was given pre-meds, like Benadryl and anti-nausea medications, so that I was as prepared as possible for the known side effects of receiving stem cells. Before the end of the night, I'd get more of each of those meds. There were additional concerns because, although my donor is a perfect match on 10 of 10 genetic markers, she has a different blood type than I do. So we knew my body might not take kindly to the cells.

"Me and my stem cells..." ♪  (to the tune of the "My Buddy" or "Kid Sister" doll jingles)

Those concerns proved well founded when I (a) lost my dinner, (b) had an extended coughing fit, and (c) broke out in hives. Things were always under control though. After the infusion was complete I was given another (much larger) dose of Benadryl and you'd never have known I had any issues at all. I slept like a rock until 8:30am.

The process of infusing the stem cells was rather boring (apart from my antics). It's really just like getting blood. It takes awhile and you just sit there. Boring or not though, those stem cells are brilliant. Now that they're in my body they know to get into my bone marrow and re-grow an immune system for me. Eventually they'll completely overtake my system and even my blood type will change (to the donor's blood type and blood fingerprint).

What we hope happens is that new immune system will recognize any future cancer growth as foreign and attack it. There are worries with this too. The donor's immune system can mark *all* of me as foreign and start attacking my body from within. Fortunately my doctors are a top notch team and we're taking every precaution to prevent the stem cells from staging a full on coup. Everything from very expensive medications (like Prograf) to additional chemo treatments, help suppress the new immune system and make it less likely to rebel against my body.

A small dose of chemo, to keep my (kind, generous) donor's cells from attacking my body.
From here it's a bit of a waiting game. It will take about 10 days for the donor cells to get up in my marrow and start making any new cells to rejuvenate my immunities. In the mean time I'm taking anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-biotic meds to scare away any germs that might wander my way. An infection could be fatal if not caught right away, so I'm extra careful (and you thought I was a germaphobe before!). Now I'm required to wear a face mask if I leave the room for a scenic walk down the hall. Overall though, all the precautions and hiccups are a small price to pay for a shot at really, truly, FINALLY giving this cancer the boot.

2 comments:

RockStar said...

Wow Shawntel...you are amazing...live your blogs and your positive attitude...definitely a ROCK STAR attitude...thinking of you...Aimee

ahunn said...

Shawntel you are amazing and make my year long fight with bone and blood infections minor. I am working on the PEO Yearbook and using a new way to include members. The pictures are a little distorted but guess we can all laugh at them. Good luck!
Alison